4.24.2012

Simply Be Photography


Melissa Martinson of Simply Be Photography has done an amazing job at finding her niche and perfecting it.  I've been a long time admirer of her work.  I think you'll find that you feel the same way!  So here's to introducing Simply Be Photography by Melissa Martinson

How long have you known you loved photography?
I think I'm one of those who has really always loved it. ( I know, lame you were expecting that huh?!)
I really became obsessed though when my little boy was born 5.5 years ago (You were expecting that one too huh?!)
I honestly became a snap happy crazy mother, and I had no idea what I was doing. I got my first "nice" camera a
nikon D80 about 4.5 years ago. And have been totally addicted since. 




How long have you been in business?
3 yrs.  


You seem to have a real gift with newborns how long did it take you to nail it down?
Gosh I would say I'm still a work in progress. But I would say my newborn clientele has grown lots over the past year.
It seems to be more of the norm to have newborn pics taken, and I love it. I am totally completely addicted to photographing newborns.
I truely look forward to every newborn session, I miss it when I haven't done one in a week or so. I just love it.
I think it's what sucked me in to begin with when I first started photography. It's always been what I'm drawn to. I tried weddings, they aren't for me. Props
to all you who do them, they are tons of work!!
I do still do a few families, but my love is for the little ones.


What is one tip you would give to someone who wants to get into studio work?

Hmmm, get to know your lighting.(I'm all natural, I don't know what in the world I'm doing with studio lights) It makes all the difference in the world on an image. Learn what makes a photo pop. Knowing your lighting indoors will make or break your image
I think.  And I think I just re-typed this answer about 5 different times. HAHA. I'm trying to come up with a really good answer, and I guess I just don't have one.


What's one tip that you would give to someone considering making a transition from hobbyist to business owner?
Soak up as much info as you can before you bust out into a business. Also there are lots of photographers who will work for $30 bucks or so a session, don't do it! Your worth more, charge more!

What's your favorite equipment and why?

I switch back and forth between my 50mm for newborns, and my 85mm for portraits. Love them both.
And dreaming of the 105mm, oh and the 35mm would be great too for cramped spaces. ;)


Do you have a session that has been your favorite?  If so why was it?
Not specifically no. But a super sleepy, super squishy newborn is always my favorite. :)

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Melissa has always been my Hero!