2.20.2012

Nicole Nelson Photography

Today we are spotlighting Nicole Nelson.  She is absolutely beautiful!!  On top of that she is an amazing photographer and a great friend and inspiration to me.  Aspiring photographers can learn so much about not only having talent in photography but also a good business perspective.



How long have you been interested in Photography? How many of those years were you in business?

I have had a passion for photography for as long as I can remember. As a child I would set up mini photo shoots for one of my four sisters. This often included draping blankets for backdrops and surrounding them with stuffed animals for props. It was not the best experience for them but I was in heaven! It wasn't until the last couple of years that this passion became a realization and a business was formed!


Do you have a certain type of photography that you prefer?

As you can see from my work I have tried it all. I seem to be having a hard time narrowing down my "favorite" type of session. I do know that I find the most reward from sessions that capture milestones, such as newborns, seniors, and weddings.


 I feel greatly rewarded after spending a few hours with a brand new baby. It is an opportunity to capture a moment that is so fleeting and will be treasured by loving parents forever. I also love weddings for this very reason. After shooting a wedding I often have goose bumps and leave shedding a few tears. I love being a part of such a special time in someone's life and also know that these are moments that are timeless. These type of sessions make you feel as if you are a part of something larger than just taking pictures. You are telling stories and capturing moments of a beautiful life!


What's your story how did you get interested in Photography and when did your business start to take off?

My story is similar to many other photographers. When my daughter was born I knew that I had to learn to take "better" pictures in order to capture her life (her story). So armed with my little Pentax point and shoot I set out to photograph every inch of her life. It didn't take long before I was frustrated with the images I was producing. They looked nothing like what I saw with my eyes or the vision I had in my mind. I had to learn to read light, to understand posing, and to operate in manual mode. :) My journey into photography began. I bought my first SLR and started by taking thousands of pictures of my own children which soon turned to practicing on friends and family. As I grew as a photographer so did my opportunities.



Where do you get your inspiration from?

I am inspired by all of the beautiful things around us. I am also inspired by real life and real emotion. I love capturing those smiles that define a child or a signature giggle that only a mother or father would recognize. I am constantly seeking this type of connection with my photography. I am also inspired by new locations. I have found that shooting in new locations forces me to think outside the box and to look harder for unique ideas. But I would have to say that the single thing that inspires me the most is LIGHT. I love chasing light and trying to find those perfect pockets where the light is just right. I believe light can make or break an image. When the right light is captured magic spills into an image and it truly comes to life.

I have also stuck with the motto, "you do not have to be the best today, you just have to do better than you did yesterday". This inspires me to push harder and to try new things.


You've done a really great job at running a successful business in this area. Do you have any advice for the up and coming?


Oh, this is one I am still trying to tame for myself. Running a successful business takes a lot of patience and hard work. I have found this especially true with running a "creative business". When I first started I wanted to put every ounce of my energy into the creative side of my business such as buying wonderful props, dreaming up fun shoots, etc., often letting the "business" side of things fall flat. I have learned that without the balance between the two you will become overwhelmed and burned out. Learning to attend to business issues such as overhead and expense, taxes, profit, and most importantly time management will free you to be able to enjoy what you do. It is important to have a realistic outlook on what you are wanting out of your business. Photography is a very expensive business to pursue and one that could swallow your profits whole if you are not careful. I believe that is is important to put value on your work and experience. Too often photographers give away their talent for free and only end up hurting themselves in the long run. Your value should increase as your talent and experience increases.


A business plan is key to a successful business! It gives you control and ensures that your business is working for you instead of you working for your business.

Photography is such a beautiful art and has become an outlet for me to express how I interpret the world. Learning to run a business has allowed me to do this for a living!

Nicole Nelson is the owner of Nicole Nelson Photography and you can also find her on Facebook.

No comments: